John Bendel will be introducing this at
JB 9. Consideration to assign funds for athletic field improvements.
The Commission would like to establish a process for funding field enhancements at Middle/Wildcat field. The project scope and opinion of cost was prepared by the Municipal Engineer and involves the installation of artificial turf covering the entire field surface, including the infields and outfields.
The Commission prefers to install a turf product with organic infill.
The Municipality will establish a team led by the Recreation Director with representation from the School District, Gateway Engineering and representatives from the Sports Advisory Board. The team will:
● Create a strategy for field use and fee structure to cover the annual field use fee
● Develop a strategy for funding the initial nonmunicipal share
● Draft a maintenance agreement with the School District
● Develop a list of turf vendors, including those offering organic infill
● Create an RFP schedule with construction targeted to begin by August 1, 2014
● Present recommendations to the Sports Advisory Board (SAB) and Commission by February 11, 2014
In total, the Commission intends to allocate $750,000 in municipal funds for the turf project, including $637,400 by action at tonight’s meeting. The remaining $112,600 will be considered in a separate motion at a future Commission meeting.
Recommended Action: Move to: (a) Remove the assignment of $137,400 from the Brafferton project and transfer it for field enhancements, and (b) Assign $500,000 from the unassigned fund balance for field enhancements.