Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Next up: Kristen Linfante

Next up: Kristen Linfante


KristenLinfante
What does a week in the life of the Executive Director of Chamber Music Pittsburgh (CMP) look like (and what book is currently on her nightstand)? Fresh off the heels of performing at the Grand Teton Music Festival in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Kristen Linfante shares her plans on and off stage. Linfante, who began her music performance (viola) studies at age 14 at Juilliard, resides with her two sons in Mt. Lebanon, where she also serves as President of the Mt. Lebanon Commission.
Monday, August 18
Fighting a bit of jet lag after returning from performances at the Grand Teton Music Festival in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. (This was my 19th year at the festival.) Wade through messages and my “to-do” list at the CMP office in Oakland. On this particular day I will spend much of the day prepping for the season opener in September. Arrive home about 6 p.m., and make dinner for me and my boys. An evening stroll with my boys, Hale and Cameron, in Uptown Mt. Lebanon, where we live. A stop at Betsy’s Ice Cream parlor is a must! The flavors are unique and amazingly delicious. The Baklava is indescribable! Close out the day with a “date” with my beloved—my viola! We’ve been “together” since 1989. It was a very special gift from my teacher upon his death back when I was a student at Juilliard. Practice a bit in my studio at home. Put my boys to bed. Crash!
Tuesday, August 19
“Lunch date” with Quickbooks—lunch provided by Little Asia on South Craig Street in Oakland. Take a walk down the street to Carnegie Music Hall to check out the location of CMP’s new season poster outside of the venue. Back to the office to work on instrument inventory for our Poco a Poco music program at the Urban League of Greater Pittsburgh Charter School. Drive to a 5:30 p.m. guitar lesson for my son at Empire Music in Mt. Lebanon. Next, hop on the T with my boys and go back into town for the Pirates game against the Braves! Go Bucs!
Wednesday, August 20
Morning meeting in Squirrel Hill with the President of the CMP board, Bill Lafe. Lunch at Legume on North Craig Street in Oakland. A short brisk walk around the PITT campus around midday to keep me moving! Back home by 5:30 p.m., quick dinner with my boys and then on to a 7 p.m. meeting of the Mt. Lebanon Democratic Committee at the Municipal Building on Washington Road. Back home, put the boys to bed, and listen to some gorgeous music by Bertali before lights out. If you’ve never heard of Bertali, here’s a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyNXCDGo4L0.
Thursday, August 21
Morning meeting with the Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council at the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust Downtown, in preparation for Arts Day of Giving. A stop at PPG Plaza to check out one of the Laurel Foundation’s Plein Air Art Sessions at the Seward Johnson Sculpture, Turn of the Century—A Dance at Bougival. Phone meeting about a special surprise event planned for season ‘15-16. Dinner at Jade Grill on Washington Road in Mt. Lebanon. It’s a phenomenal restaurant where they make handmade noodles. Then off to a meeting of SHACOGSouth Hills Area Council of Governments. As a member of the board of SHACOG, I represent the local government of the municipality of Mt. Lebanon.
Friday, August 22
Early to the CMP office in Oakland, and a short lunchtime trip to Carnegie Museum of Art to check out their exhibit, Small Prints, Big Artists: Masterpieces from the Renaissance to Baroque.
Saturday, August 23
Morning trip to the Mt. Lebanon Farmers’ Market on Washington Road. Afternoon at home cooking. Some late evening work related to my commissioner job. On Fridays, I receive a packet of documents from the municipality of Mt. Lebanon. I’ll spend time tonight studying the documents in preparation for our next meeting on Monday, August 25th.
Sunday, August 24
Watch the Pirates game on TV with my boys. Final prep in the evening for commission meeting the next day. Read a bit of the book on my nightstand—Arianna Huffington’s On Becoming Fearless. Lights out early after a busy weekend of activities. Zzzzzzzzzzz …

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another "It's all about me!" story. Not one mention of talking to or delving into possible solutions for residents flooding problems.
Is this what Lebo has become, a gather spot for self-indulgent, self-aggrandizing individuals?

Anonymous said...

Most apropo part of the article... "Zzzzzzzzzzz!"

Lebo Citizens said...

ESB Chair asked about Kristen's trip out west, after joking about igniting me. Here is your answer, Kathy.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

Where's Dad?

Lebo Citizens said...

I'll probably catch hell from Kristen for approving your comment, 8:46 AM, even though it is a logical question to a VERY personal and detailed snapshot in time.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

Is this a copyrighted article? Was it copied from another source. There is no attribution that I could find.

Anonymous said...

Is 10:34 from Plagarizing Posti?

Anonymous said...

Why is it that the week in her life has not even happened yet? Look at the dates, folks.

Anonymous said...

10:34 the link to Next Pittsburgh isn't enough for you?!

No one in their right mind thinks that Elaine plagarize the Next Pittsburgh article.

Anonymous said...

Thousands of women - and yes, men too - lead busy, hectic working days as doctors, nurses, teachers, entrepeneurs, that sometimes takes them away from their kids for days. They then come home, cook for their families, attend sporting events or coach, go to museums, libraries, parks, pools or just sit down and read to their kids.
Some unfortunately serve in the armed forces protecting their loved ones and us overseas for months or years at a time.
Aside from Linfante's skill with a musical instrument her daily routine is pretty mundane in my mind.

Anonymous said...

These are the few ways we can practice humility:
To speak as little as possible of one's self.
To mind one's own business.
Not to want to manage other people's affairs.
To avoid curiosity.
To accept contradictions and correction cheerfully.
To pass over the mistakes of others.
To accept insults and injuries.
To accept being slighted, forgotten and disliked.
To be kind and gentle even under provocation.
Never to stand on one's dignity.
To choose always the hardest.
— Mother Theresa

Perhaps instead of reading Arianna Huffington a better choice would be "The Joy in Loving: A Guide to Daily Living" by Mother Teresa

Anonymous said...

How did she manage to watch a pirate game on TV that hasn't even happened yet? Today is Tuesday, August 19 and the article states that Kristin watched a pirate game on Sunday, August 24! Unless she has mastered the art of time travel along with her many other talents this is an impossibility! She's good, but not that good.

Lebo Citizens said...

I took it to mean that this is her calendar for the week.
She is a very busy lady.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

"Where's Dad?" comment is wrong on so many levels. Her questionable commissioner skills notwithstanding, it's none of your friggin' business (see Mother Theresa post).

- Jason M.

Anonymous said...

Elaine can we ask Kelly Fraasch her schedule to compare notes?

Anonymous said...

I had already read this article on the mt lebanon facebook page this morning..i too was puzzled about her activities that were already completed for dates this weekend..
I try so hard to like this woman but i just can't... Just cauz you graduated from the Julliard doesnt mean you can connect with people.. She certainly aint no Sophie Masloff !

Anonymous said...

Seriously Jason.....she couldn't make it any clearer she's a single mother....almost deliberate.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jason, her personal life as well as her weekly schedule doesn't mean a hill of beans to me.
That fact that she or someone else finds her schedule of such import as to publish it is though. I immediately want to know why do they think anyone cares!

Anonymous said...

"A man (or person, must be gender neutral these days) who is eating or lying with his wife or preparing to go to sleep in humility, thankfulness and temperance, is, by Christian standards, in an infinitely higher state than one who is listening to Bach or reading Plato in a state of pride."
— C. S. Lewis

Anonymous said...

I met Sophie Masloff 25 years ago... she was real.

Lebo Citizens said...

What really ticks me off is that Kristen can be gone every summer and everyone is OK with it. Did she even tell the commission that she was out of town? It was never mentioned during any commission meetings. Bottom line is that no one is busier than Kristen, not even Kelly. She has reminded me that I live a lonely and pathetic life. In the latest RTK, Miss Kristen said that I spend an enormous amount of time (an obsessive amount of time) trying to discredit her on anything and everything. Yes, the sun rises and sets on Kristen. She wants everyone to know how important she is and tells us every wonderful detail about her personal life. As it says on Facebook, she is a devoted public servant. Yes, we are so very lucky.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

This is the crap our PIO is responsible for delivering? I don't know if I should laugh or...well, laugh. How pathetic. Guess Linfante really needs the help with credibility since she obviously has none. The article should read "August 21, Me me me me me me me me me me..." August 22, Me me me me me me me"..."August 23, more me...and me me me me me me me me me"

Anonymous said...

11:04 are you sure that our PIO had any involvement in this NEXTPittsburgh article?
Looking at the staff of Next there are some very familiar MTL players associated with it, but the PIO doesn't look to be one of them. In fact, I could see this online publication being a direct competitor to Lebomag.

Anonymous said...

Very familiar MTL players indeed. Also contributors to MTL Magazine. http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/about/

Anonymous said...

The piece was on the mTL mag Facebook page. That is administered through the PIO.

Lebo Citizens said...

I have been getting some comments about Kristen which I feel are too personal to post. I will not publish comments about child care, her husband, or her health. All I can say about her health is, I guess she is one tough and very lucky lady.
Call me crazy, after all the crap she has said about me.
Elaine

Lebo Citizens said...

Yes, I know that she has willingly given us a very detailed account of her personal life. Yes, I know that she would not be that kind to me. Yes, I understand that she would not hesitate to call the police on me. Yes, I realize that her friends can joke about setting me on fire. I get all that. But we have double standards here in Mt. Lebanon. I am expected to play softball when everyone else is playing hardball.
Who said that life is fair?
Elaine

Anonymous said...

What child care?

Anonymous said...

All that can be said is that it is a shame that some of these beautiful people showed as much compassion fir others as they expect for themselves.
They don't seem to miss a beat to jump all over people that don't agree with their point of view, speak with an accent, shop at Bottom Dollar or live in Dormont or Castle Shannon.

Anonymous said...

Miles Davis, Yo-Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, Chick Corea, Van Cliburn, Wynton Marsalis, Barry Manilow, Henry Mancini, all attended or were graduates of Juliard.

#1. The above are very famous and accomplished artists and I could care less about reading their weekly schedule plus...
#2. I don't think I've ever read one of them dropping their time at Juliard into a conversation once, yet alone as many times as Linfante likes too.

Anonymous said...

As a SINGLE Dad of three young boys I also wondered what happened to Dad. I had in the past some dealings with him at my one son's soccer games a couple of years ago. Is this woman so above all us that she can put out her daily schedule and not expect anyone to question her? Maybe she better realize that her next election will be bloody. All will be fair game...

Anonymous said...

Yea 4:45 me thinks it was willful and deliberate. Look for a large group of men in your situation lined up at the Farmers Market this am.